Some additional articles of note include:
- Linux.com article on NIS end-of-life and LDAP
- Wikipedia write-up on NIS and NIS+
- NIS+ "end-of-feature" announcement from Sun
Here are some resources provided by Centrify that can help you research your NIS Migration options and potential approaches to take:
- NIS Migration webinar. This free webinar explains how Centrify DirectControl can enable you to leverage your existing Active Directory infrastructure to replace NIS with a solution that meets regulatory requirements and streamlines your IT infrastructure and operations in the process.
- NIS Migration and Interoperability technical chalk talk. This video provides an overview of NIS and explains the benefits of using DirectControl's NIS service to manage UNIX identities centrally through Active Directory.
- NIS Migration whitepaper. This white paper examines the challenges of migrating NIS deployments to a central repository, and explains in detail how a combination of Microsoft Active Directory and Centrify DirectControl can deliver a cost-effective solution that strengthens security while improving IT efficiency.
- Migrating UNIX Directories to Active Directory whitepaper. This white paper discusses how customers can migrate existing Unix directory systems to Active Directory using the Centrify DirectControl suite and Centrify's unique Zones technology.
- NIS Migration the Centrify Way blog post. The blog article discusses how customers can deploy Centrify DirectControl to de-commission their NIS infrastructure and move to using Active Directory as the central directory identity store for not only their Windows environment but their thousands of UNIX and Linux systems as well.